Questioning the internal & external experience whilst in the moments of creativity and looking through shared audience participation
Mixture of stills from video footage from winter foot prints event - Directed by Silver vine arts, Magic Teapot & Myopik
change, chance, shift, shifting, trance, transfixed, open, shared, sharing, atmosphere, discussion, closed, changed, inside, outside, freeing, out of the ordinary, routine unplanned, playing, planning, rehearsing, intercepted intercommunication, social intercourse, ethereal, immersed, immersive, transformative, complex, simpleness, traveling, trail, emotion, standing still, excitement, distance, separation, involvement, chaotic, peaceful, improvisation, creativity, community
......its the experience of making something that has no real set plan of action, i planned for promotors to take lead on inviting artists and supplied the use of the space, visitors had been my open invitation, my art workshop and recordings practised slightly however as people created what they wanted in response to the environment and the event, i had no control over ....and why would i, i can't predict people's every action
....i guess I'm now making work from the external, which at times is a display of internal reflections and I'm developing something in an internal way and to perhaps create later an internal, overlapping experience ...... both objective & subjective & mysteriously magical
Fortunate happenstance, pleasant surprise , Serendipity, The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident, The fact or occurrence of such discoveries, An instance of making such a discovery, luck,
an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident, good fortune; a talent for making fortunate discoveries while searching for other things, blessing, break*, dumb luck, fluke, good luck, happenstance, happy chance, luck, lucky break, stumbling upon, tripping over, serendipitous!
..............is listening to 2 separate recordings made at the same time from two separate rooms and when the sounds, pitch, atmosphere colide and conversations get electric and suddenly theres a build up of excitement both at the same time..... sound, space, people, time of day, people being spontaneous
Interesting explorations and discovery s continuing on this week from last- hours of material to log!
sketches made in sketch book of the installation/projection and position in the space, as well as, how i wish to animate the video footage and a basic design and how the collage of sounds, taken from 'winter foot prints' are to be layered and stretched and i can see how to work the imagery with the sound- which I'm pleased about- ( visual are stop starry and moody with blurred images mixed in separating the more formal texts ).
Looking forward to getting to a point that is 'the immersive experience' and not the looking through hours of recorded 'past' doctumentation- the experience of 'now' and 'freshness' as with older installation work, has to fit with the idea that relates to 'serendipitous unplanned discoveries' . Lots of complexities to work through!
Hope to have a mock up by Friday..... fingers crossed.
Photograph by Poppy Gentelman
Photographs by Keith Jobey
Taken at the Winter Footprints event organised by Silver Vine Arts
- mic s were set up between separate rooms recording the live music, drawing workshops i led and various conversations that naturally happen in the space. i set the Zoom recorder to record as a 4 track so i can later direct the sound between speakers. Already the recordings jump from ear to ear which is so so so exciting ! Im now to develop this to later play back in the space mirroring the echoes perhaps one hears on their feet at the time of listen to the recordings that bounce across the room .
- moments were documented on to film also, capturing the rooms, the mingling of people and the changing light and shadows.
- mood and atmosphere was very different from music promoters Myoptik s event on the saturday and Magic Teapot 's on the sunday - footage was very very very different - which is very very exciting to explore further.
- drawings created in my studio as part of the workshop were tasks that related to the space - a response to sound, a design of a maze and a drawing on the wall that combined the two. A young boy mentioned he could see his drawing on the ceiling, which I'm really exciting about taking further in to the space . With the other drawings I'm going to look at transferring them on to rolls of tracing paper and develop these as walls to walk in between. (Amunst all the other edited down projections of previous events and happenings)
- looking for a white wall space to show this work out of situe and mirror the what has happened here in a very different space!
-March is 18th is my deadline for a private private view to now show all thats been collected
Leila Houston (London, 1977) is a visual artist whose work investigates the social, political and historical aspects of a place.